From Copycat Recipe Guide
Chili's Shanghai Wings
Featuring casual fare and a fun atmosphere, Chili's sometimes offers promotional coupons to help offset the cost of dinner out. Or you could spend the evening in and make this simple Chili's Shanghai Wings recipe for yourself.
In 1975, Chili’s opened its first restaurant in Dallas, Texas, with a commitment to welcome patrons with warm hospitality, great food, and a sense of community spirit. These three values are upheld in each of the Chili’s restaurants located all over the world today.
Start to finish: 1 1/2 hour (Active time: 50 minutes)
|Flickr Error ( Invalid API Key (Key has expired) ): PhotoID 6920042022|
|Customer service phone||800-983-4637|
|Served as||Appetizer, main dish|
|Main ingredients||Chicken, buttermilk, citrus|
|Similar to||Texas Roadhouse Chicken Critters|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Chili's Shanghai Wings Ingredients
- 1 pound chicken wings
- 1 cup flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- Peanut oil for frying
Chili's Shanghai Wings Ginger-Citrus Sauce Ingredients
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 1/2 inch piece of ginger root, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup red pepper flakes
Chili's Shanghai Wings Wasabi-Ranch Dressing Ingredients
- 1/2 cup ranch style salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon wasabi powder
- 1 drop green food coloring
Recipe by CopycatRecipeGuide's Food Editors
Chili's Shanghai Wings Recipe
- Prepare chicken by separating each wing into sections.
- Combine flour, salt, black and red peppers, and paprika in a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the egg and milk; whisk until well mixed.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the egg mixture, and then into the flour mixture. Repeat to coat the chicken with an extra layer of breading.
- Place the breaded chicken on a plate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Pour three inches of peanut oil in a deep fryer and heat until the temperature reaches 360 degrees.
- Once the fryer is up to temperature and the chicken has chilled, carefully lower the chicken pieces into the fryer.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the pieces are browned.
- Drain the chicken on a draining rack or a plate lined with paper towels.
Chili's Ginger-Citrus Sauce Recipe
- Dissolve cornstarch in water and pour mixture into a saucepan along with the remaining sauce ingredients.
- Bring sauce to a boil over medium heat. When it begins to bubble, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until it thickens.
- Remove sauce from heat and let cool.
- Refrigerate the ginger-citrus sauce until ready to use.
Chili's Wasabi-Ranch Dressing Recipe
- Whisk together the ranch dressing, buttermilk, horseradish, wasabi, and green food coloring in a bowl.
- Cover and chill.
- Place fried chicken in a covered container and pour the ginger-citrus sauce over it.
- Cover the container and shake it so that the chicken pieces get coated with the sauce.
- Serve the chicken on a plate with the Wasabi-Ranch Dressing on the side.
How to make Buttermilk for Chili's Shanghai Wings Recipe
- If you do not have buttermilk on hand, or can’t justify purchasing a whole carton to use just a few tablespoons, try one of these simple buttermilk substitutes:
- Place either 1 tbsp. of lemon juice OR 1 tbsp. of white vinegar in a liquid measuring cup. Add milk to the 1-cup line. Stir to combine. Let the mixture sit at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes, or until it curdles. Stir once again and it is ready to use in your recipe.
- Place 1 ¾ tsp. cream of tartar in a bowl, add 1 c. of milk and whisk. Allow mixture to sit for 5 to 10 minutes at room temperature. Once it curdles, stir again. The buttermilk substitute can be used in your recipe.
- It may seem as though there are many components required to make this dish. However, if you use your time wisely and have all of your ingredients within reach before you begin, you can prep certain items while others are resting. For example, once you have breaded the chicken and it is chilling, start to prepare the ginger-citrus sauce. The ginger-citrus sauce will need to simmer for about 15 minutes to thicken. While the sauce is simmering, mix the wasabi-ranch dressing. By the time you’ve made the sauce and dressing, the chicken will be chilled and ready to fry.
Also See: How to Make Chili's Sweet Corn Soup, How to Make Chili's Twisted Lemonade, How to Make a Chili's Awesome Blossom, How to Make KFC Original Recipe Fried Chicken, How to Make Applebee's Fiesta Lime Chicken