From Copycat Recipe Guide
McDonald's Chicken Nuggets
McDonald's chicken nuggets are a popular menu item for children and adults, but frequent stops at the fast food restaurant can become expensive quickly. Using McDonald's coupons can help lower the cost when available, but making chicken McNuggets at home is a great alternative. The McDonald's chicken nuggets recipe does not take much time and allows you to customize your nuggets based on your health needs and flavor preferences. By preparing the nuggets at home, you know exactly what you and your family are eating. The recipe makes enough for about 20 nuggets, depending upon the size you cut the chicken. While you can prepare the ingredients ahead, the chicken nuggets are best served freshly cooked. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days, but reheat the nuggets in an oven for best results.
|Customer service phone||800-244-6227|
|Served as||Appetizer, main dish, children's dish|
|Main ingredients||Chicken, flour, tempura batter|
|Similar to||Wendy's chicken nuggets|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
McDonald's Chicken Nuggets Ingredients
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup tempura coating
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 4 boneless chicken breast fillets
- Vegetable oil to cover nuggets
McDonald's Chicken Nuggets Recipe
- Combine water and egg in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Beat with a fork or whisk to create an egg wash.
- Place flour, tempura mixture, salt, paprika, onion powder, black pepper and garlic powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Dump flour mixture into a plastic, resealable bag.
- Clean chicken and remove any excess fat.
- Place plastic wrap on top of a cutting board.
- Put chicken fillets on the cutting board, then cover each fillet with plastic wrap.
- Pound each fillet until approximately 1/4-inch thick.
- Cut each fillet into nugget size pieces, or about 1 1/2 inches long.
- Place chicken into bag containing flour mixture.
- Close bag and shake to coat each chicken piece.
- Dip each chicken piece into egg wash and set on a plate.
- After dredging all chicken, return egg pieces to flour mixture.
- Close bag again and shake to re-coat chicken.
- Place chicken bag and egg wash in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Repeat egg wash and flour coating process.
- Add vegetable oil to fryer, then heat to 375 degrees.
- Fry all chicken pieces in fryer. Make sure to give each piece enough space in the fryer so that it does not touch another piece.
- Cook each batch approximately 10 minutes, or until the inside of chicken is a bright white color.
- Remove chicken from fryer and place on a brown paper bag to soak up any excess grease.
- Serve with a dipping sauce such as honey mustard, ranch or ketchup.
How to Make McDonald's Chicken Nuggets Video
If you do not have a deep fryer, you can substitute a heavy-duty skillet. Frying in a skillet will require flipping the nuggets half-way through the cooking process. Consider adding other seasonings such as oregano, cayenne pepper or a seasoning blend to spice up your nuggets. While you can serve the nuggets as a stand alone item, the nuggets are meant to have a dipping sauce. Consider using a favorite BBQ sauce, honey, mustard or ranch as a dipping sauce.
Also See: How to Make a Smoothie Like McDonald's, How to Make Texas Roadhouse Cinnamon Butter, How to Make KFC Buttermilk Biscuits, How to Make Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole, How to Make Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls, How to Make Homemade Nutella, How to Make Texas Roadhouse Chicken Critters