From Copycat Recipe Guide
How to Cook a Turkey Like Emeril Lagasse
To prepare the Emeril Lagasse turkey recipe requires quite a bit of planning. The recipe can take anywhere from 9 to 27 hours to make, depending on how long cooks decide to brine the turkey. If cooks decide to use a frozen turkey, they may have to allow a few days of advance time to allow the turkey to defrost thoroughly in the refrigerator before cooking. This turkey recipe can be used as a main dish for any family meal, including dinners or holiday parties.
Start to finish: 9 to 27 hours (Active time: 1 hour)
|Served as||Main dish|
|Main ingredients||Turkey, onion, orange, lemon|
|Similar to||Rachael Ray turkey recipe|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Emeril Lagasse Turkey Recipe Ingredients
- 1 whole 10-pound turkey
- 1 cup salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 oranges
- 2 lemons
- Fresh rosemary
- Fresh thyme
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 stick butter
Emeril Lagasse Turkey Recipe
- Discard the giblets and innards from the turkey.
- Rinse the bird under cold water and use paper towels to pat it dry.
- Cut the oranges and lemons into quarters.
- Combine the sugar and salt in a stockpot. Add 2 gallons of water and stir until salt is dissolved.
- Add the quartered fruit and the herbs.
- Submerge the turkey in the brine and cover the stockpot. Refrigerate for at least four hours or up to 24 hours.
- Remove the turkey from the brine and rinse under cold water. Dry with paper towels.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Chop the onion, carrot, and celery roughly.
- Season the inside of the turkey with salt and pepper. Place the cut vegetables inside the turkey cavity.
- Sprinkle the entire bird with salt and pepper.
- Rub butter all over the turkey skin and place the bird, breast side down, on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Roast the turkey for one hour. Turn the bird over so that the breast is up and baste.
- Return to oven and continue cooking for 2 1/2 hours more, basting every 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when the internal turkey temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Cover the turkey with foil and let rest 20 minutes before carving.
How to Make Turkey Breast with Roasted Garlic
- For an earthy flavor, brine the turkey in a beer and cider mixture. Combine 2 quarts apple cider, 2 cups dark brown sugar, 2 cups kosher salt, 4 quarts dark beer, and bay leaves in a stockpot. Boil the mixture and cool completely. Soak the turkey in the brine for up to 24 hours before roasting.
- Pair the turkey with homemade stuffing and giblet gravy to prepare a traditional turkey and stuffing dinner. Finish the meal with a batch of Mary Mac's Sweet Potato Souffle.
Also See: How to Cook a Turkey Like Martha Stewart, How to Cook a Turkey Like Paula Deen, How to Cook a Turkey Like Jamie Oliver, How to Cook a Turkey Like Rachael Ray, How to Make Mary Mac's Sweet Potato Souffle