From Copycat Recipe Guide
How to Cook a Turkey Like Martha Stewart
To prepare the Martha Stewart turkey recipe, cooks should begin working on the meal a day in advance. Martha Stewart encourages cooks to brine their turkeys before roasting, which adds an extra 24 hours onto the normal preparation time for a roast turkey. While this recipe includes a homemade gravy, cooks can use a pre-made or store-bought gravy to save time before serving. To make an entire meal, consider adding Mary Mac's Sweet Potato Souffle and a side of green beans along with the roasted turkey.
Start to finish: 31 1/2 hours (Active time: 2 hours)
|Served as||Main dish|
|Main ingredients||Turkey, onions, carrots, celery, rosemary|
|Similar to||Jamie Oliver turkey recipe|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Martha Stewart Turkey Recipe Ingredients
- 1 whole 18-pound turkey
- 3 cups kosher salt
- Bay leaves
- 5 cups sugar
- 2 large onions
- 2 celery stalks
- 4 carrots
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh rosemary
Martha Stewart Turkey Recipe
- Chop the onions, carrots, and celery stalks roughly. Place half of them into a large stockpot.
- Add the kosher salt, bay leaves, thyme, sugar, and 10 cups of water to the stockpot. Bring to boil, then remove from heat and cool.
- Place the turkey into the brine mixture and cover the pot. Place the stockpot into the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Take the turkey out of the brine and dry it with paper towels. Let rest for two hours before cooking.
- Turn the oven on to 425 degrees.
- Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper and rub seasoning into the turkey's skin. Season the inside of the turkey cavity with salt and pepper as well.
- Place stuffing into turkey cavity.
- Tie the turkey legs together using kitchen twine.
- Mix the remaining onions, carrots, and celery pieces together and lay in the bottom of a roasting pan.
- Place the turkey over the vegetables and cover loosely with foil.
- Roast in the oven for one hour.
- Baste the turkey with the pan juices and continue cooking for another three hours, basting every half hour.
- After the meat reaches 165 degrees, remove the turkey from the oven.
- Let sit for 30 minutes before carving.
- Use the cut vegetables and juices in the roasting pan to make gravy.
How to Roast a Brown Sugar Glazed Turkey
- To give the turkey a slightly sweet taste, add a brown sugar glaze to the skin. Mix 2/3 cup of cider vinegar with 1/2 cup dark brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce temperature and cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Brush the turkey skin with the mixture about 1 1/2 hour into the cooking process. Cook for about 45 minutes more.
- Give the turkey a smoky flavor by sprinkling the skin with paprika before cooking.