From Copycat Recipe Guide
How to Cook a Turkey Like Paula Deen
Home cooks can recreate the Paula Deen turkey recipe in their home by following simple step-by-step instructions. Learning how to cook a turkey like Paula Deen is not as difficult as it may seem. The roasted turkey recipe that is made available by Paula Deen will walk the cook through each step and give an in-depth explanation of the procedure that she has perfected over the years.
Paula Deen is a Southern cook who has her own television show on the Food Network television channel. She also owns several restaurants where her recipes are the main feature on each of the menus.
Start to finish: 3 hours and 30 minutes
|Customer service phone||912.233.2600|
|Served as||Main Dish|
|Similar to||Holiday Turkey|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Paula Deen Turkey Ingredients
- 12 to 14 pound turkey (thaw if frozen)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 onion, cut into quarters
- 1 garlic head, cut in half crosswise
- Several fresh herb sprigs, like parsley, thyme, sage and rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
Paula Deen's Turkey Gravy Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups of turkey juice
- 1 can of chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons of fresh chopped thyme
- Remaining pepper
- 1/3 cup of water
- 4 tablespoons of flour
Paula Deen Turkey Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Remove the giblets from the inside of the turkey and wash it inside and out with water.
- Dust the inside of the turkey cavity with 1/2 teaspoon of the kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper.
- Place the garlic, onion, bay leaves and the sprigs of herbs inside the turkey.
- Put the turkey in the roasting pan, breast side up.
- Use half of the butter to brush over the turkey.
- Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and the rest of the salt over the bird.
- Tent the turkey with aluminum foil.
- Let the turkey roast for 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil and brush the turkey with the remaining butter.
- Turn the oven up to 425 degrees.
- Continue cooking until a meat thermometer placed in the thickest part of the thigh registers 180 degrees (approximately 45 minutes).
Paula Deen Turkey Gravy Recipe
- After the turkey cooks completely, tilt it to drain all of the juice into the roasting pan.
- Skim the turkey juice to remove the fat.
- Place the roasting pan with approximately 1 1/2 cups of juice over medium heat.
- Add the thyme, broth and pepper to the pan.
- Sir the mixture to get the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Let the mixture simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Mix the water and cornstarch
- Strain the gravy into a small pot.
- Slowly whisk in the cornstarch mixture.
- Continue stirring and simmer until the gravy is thickened.
Paula Deen Makes Stuffing
- Use a baster to drizzle the turkey with cooking juices as it roasts.
- To check the temperature of the turkey, be sure to insert the thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh and away from the bone.
- As a general rule, a turkey needs to cook for 12 to 14 minutes per pound of weight.
- If you store the turkey in the freezer, defrost it in the refrigerator for two to three days prior to cooking.
Also See: How to Make a Panera Roasted Turkey Artichoke Panini, How to Make Panera Roasted Turkey Fuji Apple Salad, How To Make Texas Roadhouse Sweet Potatoes with Honey Caramel Sauce,,How to Make HoneyBaked Ham, How To Make Texas Roadhouse Mashed Potatoes,How to Make Texas Roadhouse Rolls