From Copycat Recipe Guide
Applebee's Baked French Onion Soup
Applebee's Baked French Onion Soup recipe is served at the restaurant chain as both an appetizer and a side dish. The soup is made with sliced onions and beef broth and topped with a large baked crouton and broiled provolone cheese. Consider making it a full meal by adding another Applebee’s appetizer such as spinach pizza.
|Customer service phone||(888)592-7753|
|Main ingredients||White onions, beef broth, provolone cheese|
|Similar to||T.G.I. Friday’s French Onion Soup|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Applebee’s Baked French Onion Soup Ingredients
- 6 medium white onions
- 8 cups water
- 3 tbsp butter
- 6 tsp beef base
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 hamburger buns
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
Applebee’s Baked French Onion Soup Recipe
- Slice the onions into thin circles.
- Heat the 3 tbsp of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Place the onion in the heated pan, reduce the heat to medium-low, and sauté for 20 minutes. If the onions start turning brown, lower the heat more.
- Pour the 8 cups of water into the pan and add the beef base, salt, and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then turn the heat down to low and cook for 45 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, prepare the croutons. Preheat an oven to 325 degrees and slice the hamburger buns in half.
- When the oven is preheated, open it and use an oven mitt to slide out the top oven rack. Lay the hamburger buns on the rack and slide the rack back into the oven carefully.
- Bake the buns for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and lay on a plate.
- Divide the soup into eight oven safe soup bowls. Lay a toasted bun piece on top of each soup bowl, then add a slice of provolone cheese.
- Place the bowls on an oven rack and turn the oven to broil. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Remove the bowls from the oven carefully and sprinkle shredded Parmesan over the top of each bowl. Serve.
Classic French Onion Soup Recipe
- For a variation on this recipe, try adding steak to make it into a main dish. Broil a rib-eye steak to the desired thickness, then cool it and slice it into thin strips. Divide the cooked steak among the soup bowls.
- You could use sliced French bread instead of hamburger buns. If you prefer, you could also substitute provolone cheese for Swiss. Monterey Jack cheese can also be used in place of provolone.