From Copycat Recipe Guide
Applebee's Chicken Fried Chicken
Applebee’s serves many chicken entrees, including Fiesta Lime Chicken. For a time, the restaurant also served Applebee’s Chicken Fried Chicken recipe, which consisted of double breaded chicken breasts that were fried and served with homemade gravy. While the restaurant has since stopped serving this dish, you can still make it for dinner tonight with this copycat recipe.
|Customer service phone||(888)592-7753|
|Served as||Main dish|
|Main ingredients||Chicken breast, flour, milk, cornstarch|
|Similar to||Chicken and gravy|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Applebee’s Chicken Fried Chicken Ingredients
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 cups milk
- 2 to 3 cups vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 3 3/4 cups flour
- 2 1/2 tsp each dried garlic and dried onion
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ cup water
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
Applebee’s Chicken Fried Chicken Recipe
- Make the Country Gravy: In a saucepan, mix 3 cups of milk and the chicken broth together. Simmer over low heat, then add ½ tsp garlic, ½ tsp onion, salt and pepper.
- Mix the ¼ cup cold water and the cornstarch together in a small bowl. Pour the mixture into the milk and broth slowly. Stir constantly to break up any lumps and continue simmering until the mixture thickens.
- Set the gravy to the side on very low heat.
- In a deep bottomed skillet, pour two or three inches of vegetable oil and then heat to sizzling. While the oil is heating, use a kitchen mallet to pound the chicken to a ¼-inch thickness.
- Pour 2 cups of flour into a large mixing bowl. Add in 1 tsp each of garlic and onion, then 1 ½ tsp baking powder, salt, and pepper. Divide the mixture evenly into two separate bowls to make two coating bowls.
- In a separate bowl, mix 1 ¾ cup flour with 1 ½ cups water, 1 cup milk, 2 eggs, 1 tsp each garlic and onion, 1 ½ tsp baking powder, salt, and pepper to form the batter. Beat the batter thoroughly using a wooden spoon or a whisk to break up most of the lumps.
- To fry the chicken, roll each breast in the dry coating, then dip it into the batter. After allowing the excess to drip off, roll each breast in the second coating bowl.
- Carefully place each breast into the hot oil and cook for 6 to 8 minutes. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan.
- After the chicken finishes cooking, use kitchen tongs to remove it and drain on paper towels.
- To serve, place a cooked breast on each place, then top with warm Country Gravy.
Southern Fried Chicken and Gravy Recipe
- For a classic Southern dish, serve the Chicken Fried Chicken along with homemade buttermilk biscuits.
- You might also like to add an appetizer course such as Applebee’s Baked French Onion Soup or Spinach Pizza.