From Copycat Recipe Guide
California Pizza Kitchen BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad
The California Pizza Kitchen BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad recipe is a perfect dish to make for a summer dinner or a weekday lunch. This meal, which features garlic BBQ chicken atop a lettuce mix served with an original Garden Herb Ranch dressing, is the restaurant chain's unique spin on chopped chicken salad. Making this dish from scratch can be time-consuming, since the salad, chicken, and dressing must be made separately. Try preparing the dressing the night before to cut the dinner preparation time later.
Start to finish: 1 hour 35 minutes (Active time: 1 hour 15 minutes)
|Flickr: Dave Dugdale|
|Customer service phone||1-800-91-WECARE|
|Served as||Salad, main dish|
|Main ingredients||Chicken breast, lettuce, barbecue sauce, jicama, Monterey Jack cheese|
|Cooking method||Grilling, mixing|
|Similar to||Panera BBQ Chopped Chicken Salad|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
California Pizza Kitchen BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad Ingredients
- 1/4 head iceberg lettuce, sliced thin
- 1/4 head romaine lettuce, sliced thin
- 6 large fresh basil leaves, sliced thin
- 1/2 pound jicama, sliced into strips
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup canned sweet corn kernels, drained
- 1.5 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup sweet-and-spicy barbecue sauce
- 1/8 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 6 corn tortillas, sliced into strips
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
California Pizza Kitchen BBQ Chicken Ingredients
- 3/4 tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/8 cup sweet-and-spicy barbecue sauce
California Pizza Kitchen Garden Herb Ranch Dressing Ingredients
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cold water
- 1 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 1/2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 1/4 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 tablespoon green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh Italian parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon minced fresh basil
Recipe adapted from California Pizza Kitchen
California Pizza Kitchen BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad Recipe
- In a resealable container, combine all of the ingredients for the Garden Herb Ranch dressing. Stir well.
- Place dressing in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a bowl, combine the garlic, soy sauce, salt, and barbecue sauce for the grilled chicken.
- Place the chicken breasts in the mixture and coat liberally.
- Marinate chicken in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- In a large heavy pan, heat a few inches of vegetable oil until the temperature reaches 375 degrees.
- Place the tortilla strips in the hot oil and cook for two minutes until crispy.
- Remove the tortilla strips from the pan and drain them on paper towels. Let cool completely before using.
- Brush a grill or grill pan with olive oil.
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- Remove chicken from the marinade and place on the hot grill.
- Cook the chicken breast for 4 minutes, then flip and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Remove chicken from the grill and let cool for a few minutes.
- Slice chicken into strips.
- In a large bowl, mix all of the salad ingredients together, except for the vegetable oil and the tortilla strips.
- Divide the salad mixture among four plates.
- Garnish the salad plates with the fried tortilla strips.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over each salad serving.
- Top each serving with sliced barbecue chicken and serve the dressing on the side.
Designing California Pizza Kitchen Recipes
According to the nutrition counts provided by California Pizza Kitchen, a full serving of this dish can contain up to 1050 calories and 66 grams of fat. Using a simple dressing of ranch dressing mix and barbecue sauce instead of the Garden Herb Ranch dressing can cut the calorie count considerably.
Also See: How to Make California Pizza Kitchen Oriental Chicken Salad, How to Make Panera BBQ Chopped Chicken Salad, How to Make Panera BBQ Ranch Dressing, How to Make Panera Asian Sesame Chicken Salad, How to Make Panera Fuji Apple Chicken Salad, How to Make Panera Thai Chopped Chicken Salad