From Copycat Recipe Guide
Carrabba's Mamma's Pie Crust
Carrabba's menu is high on quality and taste especially in their dessert section. Carrabbas Italian grill offers a range of sweet options, but their pies are ones to replicate at home, or to take to a social gathering when you want to impress. The Carrabbas's Mamma's pie crust recipe is not difficult to prepare and using standard pie ingredients that are likely found in most home kitchens. The secret to crafting restaurant-quality pie crusts is to use the full fat version of butter for maximum flavor and baking quality.
|Flickr: local louisville|
|Customer service phone||(800)354-1416|
|Served as||Base for pies|
|Main ingredients||Flour, shortening, butter|
|Similar to||Pie crust|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Carrabba’s Mamma’s Pie Crust Ingredients
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp. ice water
- 1 tsp. vinegar
Carrabba’s Mamma’s Pie Crust Recipe
- Refrigerate all recipe ingredients, including the flour, until they are well chilled. This process takes about an hour to complete.
- Add 3 cups of flour and 1 teaspoon of salt to the bowl of a food processor using a flour sifter.
- Measure 1 cup of vegetable shortening and add it to the mixing bowl.
- Pack 1/4 cup measuring device with butter, then add it to the mixture.
- Pulse the mixture with a food processor until small pebble-shaped pieces are formed.
- Place an egg, 2 tablespoons of water and 1 teaspoon of white vinegar in a small mixing bowl, then stir.
- Pour liquid ingredients into the flour mixture, then pulse the food processor to incorporation. An additional two to four tablespoons of water may be needed to thin the batter sufficiently.
- Split the dough in half.
- Flatten each half of the dough and wrap it in plastic.
- Chill the dough halves in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Take enough dough out of the refrigerator to make your desired crust. This recipe prepares two nine-inch pie crusts, so if your recipe calls for a single crust, use one half. If your recipe calls for a double crust or if you’re making two pies, use both dough halves.
- Let the dough halves sit at room temperature for 5 minutes before handling.
- Remove the plastic wrap and place the dough on a floured surface.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out to an 11-12 inch diameter. Begin rolling from one direction and then reverse direction to flatten the dough evenly. Add more flour if needed to prevent the dough from sticking.
- Fold the dough in half and then in half again to form a triangle shape. This process makes it easier to lay the crust in the pie pan.
- Point the tip of the triangle to the center of the pan, then unfold the dough carefully to drape the pan.
- If desired, use your forefinger and thumb to form crimped or fluted edges around the crust.
Making Pie Crust from Scratch
According to Carrabba’s official recipe, this pie crust dough can be frozen for later use. Cooks can lay the dough in the pan, wrap the pan in a resealable bag and then store it in the freezer until ready. Home bakers that enjoy making this recipe might want to prepare other Carrabba’s baked goods, including Pizza Dough, Mamma’s Bread, or Sesame Seed Shortbread Cookies.
Also See: How to Make Carrabba's Pizza Dough, How to Make Carrabba's Mamma's Bread, How to Make Carrabba's Sesame Seed Shortbread Cookies, How to Make Carrabba's Chicken Bryan, How to Make Olive Garden Minestrone Soup