From Copycat Recipe Guide
Carrabba's Mamma's Bread
The Italian restaurant chain Carrabba’s serves classic Italian recipes, including its made-from-scratch bread. The ingredient list for this Carrabbas copy cat bread recipe comes directly from Carrabbas. Learning how to make this Carrabba’s Mamma’s Bread recipe is a fairly simple process and requires just a few ingredients, including yeast, flour, and water.
|Customer service phone||800-354-1416|
|Main ingredients||Flour, yeast, water|
|Similar to||Italian bread|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Carrabba’s Mamma’s Bread Ingredients
- 1 ¼ tsp. dry yeast
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 ¼ cups plus 1 ½ tbsp. lukewarm water at 110 degrees Fahrenheit
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. vegetable shortening
- Olive oil
Carrabba’s Mamma’s Bread Recipe
- Combine the yeast and the sugar in the bowl of lukewarm water. Let the yeast dissolve and then sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Once the yeast begins bubbling and foaming, it is active and ready to use.
- In a large bowl, put 1 cup of flour and then add the yeast mixture. Mix the ingredients together and slowly mix in the salt and the shortening.
- Slowly add the remaining 2 cups of flour to the mixture. As the mixture gets thicker, add the remaining water one tablespoon at a time until you can form a ball of dough with your hands. Adjust the flour and water as needed for consistency. The dough should be a bit sticky and moist.
- Lay the flour on a floured surface and knead it for a few minutes until it has a smooth texture.
- Use a little olive oil to grease a second large bowl. Place the dough ball in the bowl and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Set the bowl in a draft-free place for two hours. Once the dough has doubled in size, it is ready.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and knead it for four minutes more. Grease an 8 x 5 or a 9 x 4 loaf pan and place the dough in it. Add oil to the top of the dough, recover it with plastic wrap, and let it rise for one more hour.
- Heat an oven to 450 degrees.
- Remove the plastic wrap carefully. Use a sharp knife to cut two slashes in an “X” shape across the top of the dough. Place the dough in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake the dough for 30 to 40 minutes more. When the crust has a deep brown color on top, the bread is done.
- Take the bread out of the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes. Remove it from the loaf pan immediately after the 10 minutes are up to keep the bread from getting soggy.
- Rest the bread on a cooling rack to cool completely.
Simple Homemade Bread
- While this recipe for Mamma’s Bread can serve as a side dish or a meal accompaniment, Carrabba’s recommends slicing the bread lengthwise and using it to make a hearty sandwich such as the chain’s Oyster Loaf.
- After preparing the bread, leave a few slices out overnight to make bread crumbs for coating mozzarella sticks.
- Consider adding a bit of brown sugar and olive oil to the dough during mixing for a slightly more flavorful version.
- Cooks who have a bread machine at home can also make the dough in the machine and then turn it out for baking to save time.
- If desired, brush the finished loaves with egg wash (egg white plus a bit of water) and sprinkle the top with sesame seeds.
- Make a dipping sauce to serve with the bread by mixing 1 tbsp. each of black pepper, crushed red pepper, dried oregano, dried rosemary, dried basil, dried parsley, garlic powder, and garlic, along with 1 tsp salt. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of the seasoning mixture over a small bowl of extra virgin olive oil.