From Copycat Recipe Guide
Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings
Cracker Barrel chicken and dumplings takes the best of the classic Southern flavors and puts it on the table for restaurant diners every day. Those who crave this comfort food dish will enjoy the balance of boiled chicken, buttermilk and doughy flour strips. Learning to make the Cracker Barrel chicken and dumplings recipe is an easy way to enjoy the flavor of the Cracker Barrel Old Country Store restaurant any time. The dish is an economical meal that only requires basic ingredients, but it does need approximately tree hours to prepare.
|Customer service phone||800-333-9566|
|Served as||Main Dish|
|Main ingredients||Chicken, flour, buttermilk|
|Similar to||Classic Southern-style chicken and dumplings|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings Ingredients
- 1 fryer chicken
- 1 onion
- 3 celery stalks
- 3 carrots
- 3 chicken bullion cubes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp. shortening
- 3/4 c. buttermilk
<p style="text-align:center"> Save Up To 75% With The Winter Clearance Sale at SurLaTable.com!
Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- Clean the chicken and remove the neck and gizzards.
- Chop onions, carrots and celery and place into a dutch oven, or large stock pot.
- Add the cleaned chicken to the pot.
- Cover with water and add 3 chicken bullion cubes, then bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer the chicken for approximately 1 hour, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove chicken from the broth and set aside an allow it to cool.
- Place a coffee filter inside a colander and strain the broth into a bowl.
- Discard strained vegetables.
- Measure out about 6 cups of broth and place in a dutch oven.
- Add 2 cups of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Cut the shortening into the dry mixture.
- Add buttermilk slowly, stirring gently until a dough is formed.
- Flour a flat surface, then roll out the dough until it is about 1/4" thick.
- Cut the dough into 1-inch wide strips.
- Place the dough strips onto wax paper. The strips should dry for about a half-hour to allow the dough to firm slightly.
- Gently remove chicken from the bone.
- Shred the chicken into generous chunks.
- Place chicken chunks into the broth and bring mixture to a simmer.
- Add dough strips to the broth and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes, or until the dough has expanded and resemble dough pillows.
Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings Video
The Cracker Barrel chicken and dumplings recipe relies upon slow cooking methods to develop the flavor of the chicken and broth. However, the recipe can be altered to use a pressure cooker to speed up the process. The flavor is enhanced primarily through the vegetables, bullion, salt and pepper, but the mixture can be customized by adding additional spices such as poultry seasoning, or a spice blend for chicken. Avoid adding too much spice as it will cut the chicken flavor, which is the hallmark of the dish.
Also See:' How to Make Cracker Barrel Coca Cola Cake, How to Make Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole, How to Make Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits, How to Make Texas Roadhouse Fried Pickles, How to Make Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix, How to Make KFC Buttermilk Biscuits