From Copycat Recipe Guide
Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole
Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole is served all day at the chain country-style family restaurant. The dish is available as a side dish with breakfast, lunch and dinner selections. The dish is best served hot out of the oven when the cheese topping is still bubbly. Any leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for about a week and reheated in an oven.
As listed, the Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole recipe serves about eight people when portioned as a side dish, or four people when portioned as a main course. The recipe combines cheddar cheese, onions, cream of chicken soup and potatoes for a creamy and filling dish.
Serves: As a main course - 8; as a side dish - 4
Start to finish: 1 hour (active time: 15 minutes) **Does not include time for thawing hash brown potatoes.
|Creative Commons image by turtlemom4bacon|
|Customer service phone||800-333-9566|
|Served as||Side dish|
|Main ingredients||Hash brown potatoes, cheese, butter|
|Similar to||Scalloped potatoes|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole Ingredients
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 32 ounces frozen country-style hash brown potatoes
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 pint sour cream
- 2 cups shredded colby cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a three-quart casserole dish with a non-stick cooking spray, then set aside.
- Allow the frozen hash browns to thaw at room temperature, then drain off any excess liquid. Consider using a colander to make this step easier.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup, butter or margarine, onion, sour cream, 1 cup of Colby cheese, salt and pepper. Mix until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Fold the drained hash browns into the cream mixture. Avoid over-mixing as it can cause the hasbrowns to break apart.
- Transfer the mixture to the greased casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the top of the dish with the remaining cup of cheese.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until the mixture is bubbly, then serve.
How to Make Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole
- This dish is a common Southern-style dish found at restaurants and pot luck dinners. Some variations in flavor an texture are found between recipes. One alternative is to saute two cups of crushed corn flake cereal in 1/4 cup melted butter until it is toasted, then sprinkle the mixture over the top of the casserole before baking for a crunchy treat.
- Another common alternative to this dish is to use fresh red potatoes in place of the frozen hash brown potatoes. Simply cook and dice the potatoes before combining with the other ingredients as directed.
- If you enjoy mushrooms, consider replacing the cream of chicken soup and sour cream with 1 can of cream of mushroom soup and 1 can of cream of celery soup for a more hearty flavor. A drained can of mushroom slices can also be added to the dish.
Also See: How to Make Cracker Barrel Coca Cola Cake, How to Make a Bloomin' Onion, How to Make Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits, How to Make Texas Roadhouse Fried Pickles, How to Make Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix, How to Make KFC Buttermilk Biscuits