From Copycat Recipe Guide
Nutella is a chocolate-flavored creamy spread made from hazelnuts that can be used to top toast, bagels or even desserts. A homemade Nutella recipe allows you to customize the popular spread with ingredients a flavor options to suit your taste preferences or cooking needs and it could decrease your cost for the spread. More importantly, you know exactly what ingredients are in the spread if you make it yourself, which can be critical if your family has any dietary restrictions. The store-bought Nutella does not use artificial colors or preservative, but can be stored at room temperature for long periods of time. Depending upon ingredients used, homemade Nutella may require refrigeration to ensure safety.
The rich spread was created in the 1940s by Pietro Ferrero to provide a war-time alternative when chocolate was in short supply during World War II. Instead of chocolate, Ferrero substituted hazelnuts, creating a unique and diverse flavor that can be used for almost any meal where a chocolate flavor is desired.
|Creative Commons image by janineomg|
|Customer service phone||732-764-9300 |
|Served as||Dessert, breakfast, or snack|
|Main ingredients||Chocolate and hazelnuts|
|Cooking method||Toasting and mixing|
|Similar to||Narvella Chocolate Hazelnut Spread|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Homemade Nutella Ingredients
- 7 ounces roasted hazelnuts
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons honey
Homemade Nutella Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place 7 ounces of hazelnuts on a cookie sheet and allow to roast in the oven for approximately 10-12 minutes.
- Stir nuts every 3-4 minutes while baking to ensure even roasting.
- Remove roasted hazelnuts from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Put the cooled hazelnuts in a food processor and pulse until the hazelnuts take on a smooth butter consistency.
- Add the 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 3 tablespoons honey, and 1/8 teaspoon salt to the food processor and pulse for about 2 minutes to blend.
- Remove the spread from the blender and place into a container with a top.
- Place spread into a refrigerator for at lease an hour before serving.
Homemade Nutella Video
- Scrape the sides of your food processor as needed to ensure that the hazelnuts process evenly.
- Consider adding cinnamon, chili powder, extra cocoa, almond extra or other flavors to customize your spread.
- Use a food processor instead of a blender, as the hazelnuts are too hard to be adequately processed in a blender.
- Taste the spread after you've finished mixing it. If you think it's a little too sweet, add a pinch of salt. If you feel that it's too dry, add another tablespoon or two of honey.
- If you don't have the time to toast your roasted hazelnuts, you can skip that step. However, toasting the hazelnuts will add even more flavor to your homemade Nutella.
- Get creative with how you enjoy your homemade Nutella--don't just stick to toast. Try it with fresh fruit, on shortcake, with pretzels, and more!
- Try using peanuts instead of hazelnuts to create a dreamy peanut butter and chocolate spread!
Also See: How to Make Cinnabon Cream Cheese Frosting, How to Make Wendy's Frosty, How to Make Girl Scout Tagalongs, How to Make Cracker Barrel Coca Cola Cake, How to Make Copycat Bisquick, How to Make IHOP Harvest Grain and Nut Pancakes