From Copycat Recipe Guide
Joe's Crab Shack Coconut Shrimp
Joe's Crab Shack's coconut shrimp is battered with a crunchy, coconut-infused batter and is served with a pineapple plum dipping sauce. At the restaurant, the dish is served with a mayonnaise-based coleslaw and fries. The Joe's Crab Shack Coconut shrimp recipe is not difficult and it makes for a crowd-pleasing dish. The secret of preparing the dish at home is to have a high-quality fryer, or closely monitor the cooking oil for the proper cooking temperature. While leftovers can be reheated, it is not advised. As with most fried foods, reheated coconut shrimp loses some of the crunchy texture and may become chewy upon reheating.
|Flickr User szeke|
|Offered by||Joe's Crab Shack|
|Customer service phone||205-981-2999|
|Served as||Side dish|
|Main ingredients||Shrimp, coconut|
|Similar to||Red Lobster coconut shrimp|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Joe's Crab Shack Coconut Shrimp Ingredients
- 1 can crushed pineapple
- 1/4 cup red plum preserves
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup yellow sweet and sour sauce
- 1 1/2 lb raw shrimp
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 12 ounces flaked coconut
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. Cayenne pepper
Joe's Crab Shack Coconut Shrimp Recipe
- Drain crushed pineapple and place in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar to the pineapple.
- Pour sweet and sour sauce into bowl.
- Place 1/4 cup red plum preserves into the sauce mixture.
- Stir dipping sauce, then place into a sauce pan.
- Heat sauce on medium low for about 20 minutes. The sauce with thicken when ready.
- Grate coconut in a blender for about 20 seconds to make the texture finer.
- Clean, shell and de-vein shrimp. Butterfly them open.
- Pour water into a medium-sized bowl.
- Crack eggs into water and mix to create an egg wash.
- Place half of the cornstarch on a plate.
- Put the remaining cornstarch in a mixing bowl.
- Add coconut, salt, flour, Cayenne pepper and sugar to the cornstarch, then mix to incorporate.
- Heat deep fryer to 365 degrees.
- Roll each shrimp into the corn starch on the plate.
- Dip shrimp into the egg wash.
- Roll each shrimp into the coconut mixture. Ensure the mixture coats each shrimp well so that no shrimp can be seen under the batter.
- Put shrimp into the heated oil.
- Strain the shrimp from the oil when they float. Avoid overcooking.
Joe's Crab Shack Coupons
While large shrimp do better for battering, medium-sized shrimp have more flavor. If you prefer a milder coconut shrimp, reduce the amount of sugar used and leave off the cayenne pepper. For a spicier mix, add 1/4 tsp black pepper.
Also See: How to Make Joe's Crab Shack Stuffed Mushrooms, How to Make Joe's Crab Shack Rice Pilaf, How to Make Joe's Crab Shack Steampot, How to Make Joe's Crab Shack Great Balls of Fire, How to Make Joe's Crab Shack Garlic Herb Crab Legs