From Copycat Recipe Guide
KFC Buttermilk Biscuits
Kentucky Fried Chicken, or KFC buttermilk biscuits offer a warm, buttery accompaniment to KFC's classic fried chicken. Just like the Colonel's special herbs and spices, the exact KFC buttermilk biscuit recipe is a secret; however, this KFC Buttermilk Biscuits recipe is very close. As the name suggests, the biscuits contain buttermilk, which is mixed with a baking mix like Bisquick, butter, sugar, salt, an egg and club soda. The club soda gives the biscuits their unique light and fluffy texture. The biscuits are best when served fresh out of the oven, but can be refrigerated and reheated in an oven. Consider topping with honey for a special dessert treat.
Serves: Makes 18 biscuits
Start to finish: 25 minutes
Creative Commons photo by Simply Avoir
|Customer service phone||1-800-544-5774 ext. 8360 & ext. 326|
|Served as||Side dish or bread|
|Main ingredients||Baking mix and buttermilk|
|Similar to||American buttermilk biscuits|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
KFC Buttermilk Biscuits Ingredients
- 7/8 cup solid vegetable shortening, like Crisco
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup club soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 4-5 cups Bisquik baking mix
KFC Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup of shortening, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 cup club soda, 3/4 cup buttermilk, 2 tablespoons nonfat milk, and 4 cups baking mix.
- Combine ingredients until a smooth dough is formed. Additional baking mix may be necessary to achieve a smooth consistency.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead with flour-coated hands to prevent sticking.
- Roll the dough until it reaches a thickness of 3/4 inch.
- Use a floured round cookie cutter, or drinking glass, to cut 18 biscuits from the dough.
- Evenly distribute biscuits on the greased baking sheet.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 13 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Melt butter.
- Remove the biscuits from the oven and brush the tops with melted butter.
Recipe from CopyCat Recipe Guide's Food Editors
How to Make KFC Buttermilk Biscuits Video
- While KFC does not reveal their exact recipe for the buttermilk biscuits, they do provide the recipe for the original biscuits served by Colonel Harlan Sanders at the first KFC. Called their Kentucky biscuits, the alternate biscuit recipe uses a mixture of flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, milk and vegetable shortening.
- This recipe can be easily doubled for a large group and is suitable for a holiday dinner. Biscuits can also be topped with ham, bacon or eggs to craft a breakfast biscuit sandwich.
Also See: How to Make KFC Cole Slaw, How to Make Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits, How to Make a Texas Roadhouse Cactus Blossom, How to Make Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix, How to Make Cracker Barrel Coca Cola Cake, How to Make a Bloomin' Onion