From Copycat Recipe Guide
KFC Extra Crispy Fried Chicken
Kentucky Fried Chicken extra crispy fried chicken offers a crunchy alternative to the restaurant's original recipe chicken. The extra texture is created through a second dipping of the chicken batter. Making KFC extra crispy fried chicken takes a little more time, but the results speak for themselves. Home chefs can save money by crafting the crispy chicken at home rather than buying it at their local KFC restaurant. The fried chicken is best when served hot, but leftovers can be refrigerated for up to a week. Reheated crispy fried chicken tends make the coating mushy, so consider re-purposing the chicken for a salad, pasta, casserole or sandwich. This KFC Extra Crispy Fried Chicken recipe is suitable for almost any chicken parts, but chicken breasts and legs are the easiest to cook.
Start to finish: 3 hours (active time: 1 hour)
|Customer service phone||800-225-5532|
|Served as||Main dish|
|Main ingredients||Chicken, flour|
|Similar to||KFC Original Recipe Fried Chicken|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
KFC Extra Crispy Fried Chicken Ingredients
- 6 pieces raw chicken
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoons ground oregano
- 2 tablespoons Accent seasoning
- 1 teaspoons onion salt
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoons ground ancho chili pepper
- 1 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/8 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 egg whites
- 6 cups frying oil (like Crisco)
KFC Extra Crispy Fried Chicken Recipe
- Clean chicken and cover with 2 cups of buttermilk. Place chicken in refrigerator and allow it to soak for about 2 hours, stirring at the hour mark.
- In a large bowl. mix together flour, ground oregano, Accent seasoning, Italian seasoning, ground ancho chili pepper, onion salt, garlic powder,black, pepper, salt and paprika. Place spiced flour mixture into a sealable plastic bag.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites with remaining 2 cups of buttermilk. Be sure the bowl you use is suitable for dipping chicken pieces.
- Pat chicken dry.
- Dredge each chicken piece in the buttermilk mixture so each piece is well coated.
- Add frying oil into a pressure fryer and allow it to heat to 365 degrees. A deep fryer can be substituted for a pressure fryer.
- Add chicken pieces into the spiced flour mixture, then close the top. Shake to coat the chicken.
- Place each piece of chicken on a wire rack and allow the coating to dry.
- Repeat the buttermilk and flour dipping process.
- Put half of the chicken into the pressure fryer and cook for 10 minutes. The finished chicken should have a golden brown exterior color.
- Put chicken on a wire rack and allow any excess oil to drain off.
- Fry the remaining 3 chicken pieces in the pressure fryer and repeat the cooking and draining process.
Recipe from CopyCatRecipeGuide's Food Editors"
Kentucky Proud Extra-Crispy, Double-Dipped Fried Chicken
- The pressure fryer is one of the secrets of making copycat KFC extra crispy fried chicken. Using an alternative such as a deep fryer or frying pan can reproduce the flavor, but the texture may be slightly different than the KFC version.
- Avoid over crowding the fryer as it will make the coating fall off.
- If you like your chicken on the spicier side, consider adding some Cayenne pepper to the spice mixture, or topping your copycat KFC extra crispy fried chicken with a hot sauce like Texas Pete.
Also See: How to Make the Original KFC Biscuits, How to Make KFC Pecan Pie, How to Make KFC Spoon Bread, How to Make KFC Bean Salad, How to Make KFC Refrigerator Rolls, How to Make KFC Green Beans, How to Make KFC Potato Wedges, How to Make KFC Original Recipe Fried Chicken, How to Make Texas Roadhouse Chicken Critters