From Copycat Recipe Guide
KFC Original Recipe Fried Chicken
The KFC Original Recipe fried chicken recipe contains a blend of spices and herbs that is one of the most closely guarded recipe secrets in history. According to Kentucky Fried Chicken, the actual recipe is locked in a Louisville, Kentucky safe. Anyone working with the chain that needs the recipe is required to sign a confidentiality agreement. While replicating the exact recipe used by the Colonel's fast food chain may be impossible, you can recreate a version that tastes similar in your home kitchen by using the ingredients listed below. Try this meal with your family and see if they can tell the difference.
|Customer service phone||1-800-544-5774 ext. 8360 & ext. 326|
|Served as||Main dish|
|Main ingredients||Chicken, flour, spices|
|Similar to||KFC crispy fried chicken|
KFC Original Recipe Fried Chicken Ingredients
- 1 roasting chicken (cut into approximately 6 pieces)
- 1 tbsp. meat tenderizer (unseasoned)
- 1 tsp. ground oregano
- 2 tbsp. Accent seasoning
- 1 tsp. onion salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. marjoram
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. sage
- 1/2 tsp. ground ancho chili pepper
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. paprika
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 6 cups Crisco frying oil
KFC Original Recipe Fried Chicken Recipe
- Clean the chicken pieces and place them in a large bowl. Cover the chicken with water and add meat tenderizer. Place chicken in refrigerator and allow it to soak for about two hours.
- Prepare breading mix. Combine flour, ground oregano, Accent seasoning, onion salt, garlic powder, marjoram, basil, sage, ground ancho chili pepper, black, pepper, salt and paprika.
- Place the mixture in resealable bag and shake to blend.
- Whisk the egg whites with buttermilk in a bowl large enough for dipping the chicken.
- Take chicken out of the water and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Place chicken pieces in milk mixture and allow to soak for a few minutes.
- Pour the oil into a pressure fryer and allow it to heat to 365 degrees. If you don't have a pressure fryer, opt for a deep fryer and heat the oil to 300 degrees.
- Drop the chicken pieces into the resealable bag with the breading and seasonings. Seal the bag closed.
- Shake the chicken in the bag until all pieces are well coated.
- Place a few pieces of chicken in the pressure fryer and lock the lid in place. Cook the chicken about 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked completely and has a golden brown coating. If you're using a deep fryer, place 2 to 4 pieces in the fryer at a time and cook for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Release the pressure fryer lid and place chicken on a wire rack over a baking sheet or paper towels for draining.
- Repeat frying with the remaining chicken pieces.
Homemade Fried Chicken Recipe : Beginning Your Fried Chicken
- Using a pressure fryer is essential to recreating KFC's original secret recipe fried chicken. If you do not have a pressure fryer, a deep fryer is second best. A frying pan will also work in a pinch. Regular frying will cause the chicken to be a bit drier than the KFC version.
- During frying, be careful not to overcrowd the fryer or the frying pan. Placing too many chicken pieces in the oil at once can lead to undercooking or uneven cooking.
- If the cooking time ends and you're unsure if the pieces are completely cooked, pierce one piece with a fork in the thickest part. The juices should run clear when the chicken is done. You can also use a meat thermometer to make sure the meat is done. Cooked white meat should reach a temperature of 160 degrees and cooked dark meat should be 170 degrees.
- To keep the cooked chicken warm after frying, place it on a baking sheet and put them in a 200-degree oven until you're ready to serve the meal.
- For the classic KFC dining experience, serve this chicken along with mashed potatoes and gravy, buttermilk biscuits, and coleslaw.
Also See: How to Make the Original KFC Biscuits, How to Make KFC Pecan Pie, How to Make KFC Spoon Bread, How to Make KFC Bean Salad, How to Make KFC Refrigerator Rolls, How to Make KFC Extra Crispy Fried Chicken, How to Make KFC Gravy, How to Make KFC Extra Crispy Fried Chicken, How to Make KFC Coleslaw