From Copycat Recipe Guide
KFC Potato Wedges
The KFC potato wedges recipe is a side dish regularly offered by the fast food restaurant. Lightly battered and seasoned, the wedges are a cousin to french fries, but offer a distinct texture, size, and flavor all their own. The outside of each wedge is crispy and the inside is warm and fluffy. Recreating the KFC potato wedges in a home kitchen is not difficult. KFC potato wedges can be made from common kitchen ingredients and are best served hot.
|Customer service phone||800-225-5532|
|Served as||Side dish|
|Main ingredients||Potatoes, oil|
|Similar to||Arby's Home-style Fries|
KFC Potato Wedges Ingredients
- 2 lbs. russet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. Parmesan/Romano grated cheese blend
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Shortening for frying
KFC Potato Wedges Recipe
- Scrub the potatoes and cut them into wedges about 1/4- inch thick.
- Combine the grated cheese, Italian seasoning, paprika, pepper and salt in a microwave-safe mixing bowl.
- Place potato wedges into bowl and drizzle vegetable oil over the top.
- Mix well until all potato wedges are well covered in the spice mix and oil.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and cook in a microwave on high for 9 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Combine flour and cornstarch in bowl.
- Mix the yogurt, milk, and baking soda in another bowl. Stir to mix ingredients together.
- Take a potato wedge and dip into flour and cornstarch bowl.
- Dip wedge into yogurt mixture, then place back into flour bowl. Make sure each side is well coated.
- Place each potato wedge on a rack or other surface that allows the excess mixture to drip off.
- Heat shortening in a fryer or dutch oven until it is about 375 degrees.
- Fry each potato wedge until golden brown. For crunchier wedges, cook for about 6 minutes, for softer wedges fry for 4 minutes.
Betty's Deep-Fried Potato Wedges
- Crafting copycat KFC potato wedges takes time and is a bit messy due to the double dipping and frying process. If you're trying to avoid fried foods, you can bake the wedges instead. Simply skip the microwave cooking process and place each wedge on an ungreased baking sheet after dredging. Bake the wedges at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes per side, or until golden brown. The baking process is a healthier alternative, but is not as crispy as the original fried recipe. If you prefer to use a deep baking dish, you can coat the pan with cooking spray then bake the wedges for 45 to 55 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Make a garlic and herb version of these wedges by combining four cloves of garlic with rosemary, oregano, thyme, paprika, salt, and pepper. Dip the wedges into this spice mixture and then bake or fry as usual.
- For a completely different taste, try making sweet potato wedges in the same manner.
- To serve a complete KFC-style meal, prepare the restaurant's Extra Crispy fried chicken and serve the wedges on the side with buttermilk biscuits and coleslaw.
Also See: How to Make the Original KFC Biscuits, How to Make KFC Pecan Pie, How to Make KFC Spoon Bread, How to Make KFC Bean Salad, How to Make KFC Refrigerator Rolls, How to Make KFC Green Beans, How to Make KFC Gravy, How to Make KFC Extra Crispy Fried Chicken, How to Make KFC Original Recipe Fried Chicken, How to Make KFC Coleslaw