From Copycat Recipe Guide
KFC Spoon Bread
KFC offers a classic spoon bread that balances texture with flavor for a warm, enjoyable, savory dish. The KFC Spoon Bread recipe is easy to fix and can be prepared from dishes you likely have on hand in your pantry. KFC spoon bread can be served as an appetizer, as a snack, as a side dish or as the bread component with a meal.
Spoon bread is a classic comfort food that is easy to whip up at home. It is a great dish to prepare when you have milk that is starting to sour, or when you want a warm dish on a cold day. The recipe can be easily modified to suit the number of servings you need. Spoon bread heats easily in the microwave and can be stored in the refrigerator safely for a few days.
|Customer service phone||1-800-544-5774 ext. 8360 & ext. 326|
|Served as||Side dish, appetizer, snack|
|Main ingredients||Corn meal, milk|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
KFC Spoon Bread Ingredients
- 3 cups milk (whole or 2 percent)
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups corn meal
- 2 tbsp. cold water
Recipe courtesy of KFC
KFC Spoon Bread Recipe
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees.
- Allow butter to soften slightly.
- Place milk, sugar, and salt into a pan over medium heat and stir.
- Add corn meal to your mixture and stir.
- Cook the mixture for about five minutes.
- Place the water, baking powder, butter, and eggs into a mixing bowl and beat until combined.
- Pour mixture into corn meal mixture and combine with a spoon.
- Slightly grease a 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Pour corn meal mixture into baking dish and place into the oven.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until spoon bread is firm, but spongy to the touch.
Betty's Southern Spoon Bread Recipe
- The quality of spoon bread depends upon on the type of corn meal selected. Cooks should opt for an organic or stone-ground yellow corn mixture for optimal flavor and texture.
- You can modify the amount of sugar or butter in this recipe to suit your taste preferences.
- If you use lower-fat milk to decrease the calories and fat content, you'll also need to either decrease the amount of water in the recipe or cook the spoon bread longer to firm it up completely.
- For a heartier dish, use whole corn kernels in the recipe. Add a cup of canned corn kernels to the mixture before baking.
- If you don't have a baking dish, you can bake the spoon bread in a 9-inch cake pan instead. Be sure to line the pan with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Add a bit more flavor by including 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese in the mixture before baking.
- If you like spicy food, mince a whole jalapeno pepper and incorporate it into the corn meal mixture.
Also See: How to Make the Original KFC Biscuits, How to Make KFC Pecan Pie, How to Make Wendy's Chili, How to Make Copycat Bisquick, How to Make Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole, How to Make KFC Coleslaw, How to Make KFC Buttermilk Biscuits