From Copycat Recipe Guide
Mama Dip's Kitchen Fried Chicken
According to Food and Wine Magazine, the Mama Dip's Kitchen fried chicken recipe is one of the best in the country. The restaurant, based in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, offers country breakfasts and a range of homestyle American fare. They sell their fried chicken to go in picnic baskets, which also include an assortment of side dishes and desserts. Each picnic comes with a colored picnic basket, a tablecloth and utensils, as well as ice.
|Customer service phone||919-942-5837|
|Served as||Main dish, appetizer|
|Main ingredients||Chicken, eggs, flour|
|Similar to||Southern fried chicken|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Mama Dip's Kitchen Fried Chicken Ingredients
- 24 ounces solid vegetable shortening
- 1 chicken, about four pounds, sliced into eight sections
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Mama Dip's Kitchen Fried Chicken Recipe
- Heat the solid vegetable shortening in a tall pot or pan to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Beat the eggs with the milk in a shallow bowl.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, garlic seasoned salt and teaspoon of black pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place each chicken piece, one by one, into the egg mixture and coat evenly. Then place in the flour mixture and coat.
- Set each coated chicken piece into the lined baking sheet.
- Once all the pieces are coated, drop half of them carefully into the hot shortening.
- Cook until the middle of the pieces reach 170 degrees on a meat thermometer.
- Allow to drain, and fry the rest of the chicken until it is all cooked.
Southern Pecan Tarts
- To recreate the picnic baskets served at Mama Dip's Kitchen, serve the fried chicken with potato salad, pasta salad with veggies, dinner rolls, pickles or beets, and desserts such as pecan tarts or pound cake.
- For a southern treat, pair with freshly-baked biscuits and sweet iced tea.
Also See: How to Make Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles Fried Chicken, How to Make Pies-N-Thighs Fried Chicken, How to Make Prince's Hot Chicken Shack Fried Chicken, How to Make HoneyBaked Ham, How to Make KFC Spoon Bread