From Copycat Recipe Guide
Mary Mac's Macaroni and Cheese
Mary Mac’s Tea Room has been serving Southern-style cooking to diners in Atlanta, Georgia since 1945. One of the most famous dishes at Mary Mac’s is the Macaroni and Cheese. If you find yourself in Atlanta, head to the famous restaurant where you can purchase the official Mary Mac’s Tea Room Cookbook. If you aren’t fortunate enough to be in Atlanta, try this copycat Mary Mac’s Macaroni and Cheese recipe in your own kitchen to go along with a fine Southern feast.
Start to finish: 30 minutes
|Customer service phone||404-876-1800|
|Served as||Main entrée, side dish|
|Main ingredients||Cheddar cheese, milk, pasta|
|Cooking method||Stovetop and baking|
|Similar to||Baked macaroni and cheese|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Mary Mac's Macaroni and Cheese Ingredients
- 2/3 cup elbow macaroni
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper 
- 1/8 teaspoon Tabasco pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Mary Mac's Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large pot over high heat, cook the elbow macaroni in boiling water until it is al dente. Drain the macaroni and pour it into a large buttered casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the whole milk, evaporated milk, salt, white pepper, Tabasco pepper sauce, and butter. Add the beaten eggs and cook the sauce mixture until it is smooth and bubbly.
- Pour the sauce over the macaroni and gently mix to blend. Sprinkle the macaroni with the cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Recipe by CopyCatRecipeGuide's Food Editors
Martha Stewart’s Macaroni and Cheese
- Mary Mac’s adds a touch of Tabasco Pepper Sauce to their macaroni and cheese recipe. If you do not like spicy foods or are allergic to pepper, simply omit to the white pepper and Tabasco Pepper Sauce. Try adding a bit of onion powder or paprika instead.
- Some macaroni and cheese recipes suggest placing a layer of seasoned bread crumbs dotted with butter on top of the casserole before baking to achieve a crunchy topping.
- This recipe is easily doubled to feed a large crowd. You can also partially prepare it in advance. Simply make the macaroni and sauce, mix it in a casserole dish and store it in the refrigerator overnight. When you are ready to eat, top it with the cheddar cheese and bake it in the oven.
Also See: How to Make Panera Macaroni and Cheese, How to Make Pies-N-Thighs Fried Chicken, How to Make McDonald's French Fries, How to Make Pizza Hut Cheese Sticks, How to Make Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole