From Copycat Recipe Guide
Mary Mac's Sweet Potato Souffle
Mary Mac's Sweet Potato Souffle recipe regularly appears on the menu at this Atlanta based restaurant. The dish, which includes sweet potatoes, butter, sugar, and marshmallows, may be served as either a side dish or a dessert.
Mary Mac's Tea Room has been serving traditional Southern soul food since 1945. Along with the Sweet Potato Souffle, the restaurant has also created such unique dishes as Mary Mac's Tomato Pie and its own take on Macaroni and Cheese.
Start to finish: 2 hours (Active time: 45 minutes)
Serves: 4 to 6
|Customer service phone||(404)876-1800|
|Served as||Side dish|
|Main ingredients||Sweet potatoes, sugar, marshmallows|
|Similar to||Texas Roadhouse Sweet Potatoes with Honey Caramel Sauce|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Mary Mac's Sweet Potato Souffle Ingredients
- 16 oz sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup light cream
- 2 eggs
- Miniature marshmallows
Mary Mac's Sweet Potato Souffle Recipe
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into quarters.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a medium pot and cover well with water.
- Bring to boil over medium heat and then reduce the heat.
- Cover the pot and simmer for about one hour.
- Drain the potatoes and mash with a potato masher until fluffy.
- Grease a two-quart baking dish.
- Mix the butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and cream in with the sweet potatoes.
- Beat the eggs lightly and add them to the mixture.
- Place the mixture in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with miniature marshmallows.
- Return to the oven and bake until the marshmallows are broiled, about 10 minutes.
How to Make Sweet Potato Souffle with Marshmallow Topping
- If the sugar content of the original souffle is too high, you can remove the mini marshmallows from the recipe and simply serve the souffle.
- If you'd like to add a bit more sweetness, you can garnish the top of the souffle with whipped topping or vanilla ice cream.
- Add a bit of island flair by including raisins and shredded coconut in the souffle mix before baking.