From Copycat Recipe Guide
Mary Mac's Tomato Pie
At Mary Mac's Tea Room, one of the most requested dishes is the restaurant's Tomato Pie. Made from diced tomatoes, crumbled butter crackers, mayonnaise, and two kinds of cheese, this side dish pairs nicely with other sides from the restaurant such as its classic Macaroni and Cheese. Mary Mac's Tomato Pie recipe can be prepared in about an hour, as long as home cooks have the right ingredients on hand.
Start to finish: 60 minutes (Active time: 20 minutes)
Serves: 10 to 12
|Customer service phone||(404)876-1800|
|Served as||Side dish|
|Main ingredients||Diced tomatoes, butter crackers, onions, Parmesan cheese|
|Similar to||Vegetable au Gratin|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Mary Mac's Tomato Pie Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sweet onions
- 2 - 28 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 box of butter crackers
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups extra sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
Mary Mac's Tomato Pie Recipe
- Spray a 13 x 9 cooking dish with cooking spray. Heat an oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat two tablespoons of olive oil over a medium flame. Slice the onions thinly.
- Cook the onions in the hot oil for five minutes, or until they are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Remove one sleeve of butter crackers and use your hands to crush them finely. Set aside 1/2 cup of the crumbs.
- Sprinkle half of the cracker crumbs into the baking pan.
- Pour one can of diced tomatoes, with juice, over the cracker crumbs.
- Use a spoon to sprinkle half of the cooked onions over the tomatoes.
- Repeat another layer of tomatoes, and onions. Then sprinkle the rest of the cracker crumbs on top.
- Grate the Cheddar cheese into a bowl and combine it with the mayonnaise and the Parmesan.
- Mix in the 1/2 cup of reserved cracker crumbs.
- Use a spatula to spread the Cheddar-Parmesan mayonnaise mixture evenly over the tomato pie.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot.
Recipe by CopyCatRecipeGuide's Food Editors
Tomato Pie Recipe
- If you prefer to use fresh tomatoes, you'll need to get three to four medium-sized tomatoes and chop them roughly. Preserve the juice and include it in the recipe.
- To speed up the preparation, use a food processor to crush the crackers finely.
- You can reduce the caloric count of this dish by using low-fat mayonnaise and reduced-fat Cheddar cheese.