From Copycat Recipe Guide
Montreal Steak Seasoning
For the home grill, cooks can make their own Montreal Steak seasoning recipe from ingredients they already have on hand. This allows them to minimize the number of spices they need to keep in their kitchen and makes customizing the blend easier. Buying fewer specialty blends can save money, as spices tend to lose flavor as they age. Learning how to make blends from basic seasonings can minimize waste from discarding old spices.
Proper seasonings are often the hallmark of a great steak. While some diners prefer a simple dusting of salt and pepper, many steak eaters prefer a more hearty seasoning mix. McCormick's Grillmates Montreal Steak seasoning is a robust blend of garlic, pepper, paprika and other spices that are coarsely ground. The seasoning is suggested for steaks and burgers. The seasoning is also good on potatoes.
|Customer service phone||800-632-5847|
|Served as||Seasoning on grilled meat|
|Main ingredients||Garlic, paprika, salt|
|Similar to||Penzey's Chicago Steak Seasoning|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Montreal Steak Seasoning Ingredients
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. course ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. dill seed
- 1 tbsp. coriander seed
- 1 tbsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tbsp. dill seed
- 1 tbsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. paprika
Montreal Steak Seasoning Ingredients Recipe
- Measure out each ingredient into a small mixing bowl.
- Transfer 1/2 of the mixture into a pestle.
- Crush ingredients slightly with a mortar.
- Transfer crushed ingredients into another mixing bowl.
- Repeat crushing process with second half of spice mixture, then transfer the mix into the second bowl.
- Stir spice mixture gently to evenly distribute all spices.
- Pour seasoning mix into a glass container, preferably with a shaker top. Storing in a glass container will keep the seasonings fresh longer than a plastic container.
How to Make Montreal Steak Seasoning Video
- The secret to the Montreal steak seasoning mix is the coarse nature of each spice. It allows the seasonings to stick to the meat during grilling and minimizes burned areas while adding spice flavor points on the meat.
- If a mortar and pestle are not available, spread out the seasonings on a plate and gently crush black pepper, dill, garlic and other seasonings with the back side of a spoon. The crushing does not need to be even.
- Avoid using regular table salt, as it will make the blend too salty. The size of kosher salt is more appropriate for this blend.
- Consider adding a bit of rosemary and dried thyme for a more Italian flavor or cumin for a more robust flavor.
- For a slight barbecue kick, exchange the paprika for smoked paprika.
- To make a Montreal Steak Seasoning marinade, combine 2 tsp. of the finished seasoning with 1/4 cup of olive oil and 2 tbsp of soy sauce. You could also substitute the soy sauce for white or red wine vinegar and add 1/4 cup of water to make the marinade.
- To use the seasoning, sprinkle it over the meat evenly before broiling or grilling. To use the marinade, pour it over the raw meat and cover it tightly. Let the meat marinate for at least an hour, then broil or grill as usual.
Also See: How to Make Texas Roadhouse Steak Seasoning, How to Make Texas Roadhouse Barbecue Sauce, How to Make Texas Roadhouse Killer Ribs, How to Make Texas Roadhouse Rib Seasoning, How to Make Panda Express Mandarin Chicken, How to Make Spring Creek Barbecue Sauce