From Copycat Recipe Guide
Olive Garden Caserecce Pasta and Red Sauce
Italian restaurant chain the Olive Garden serves many dinner and lunch entrees, including Caserecce Pasta and Red Sauce. Similar to pasta with tomato sauce, this dish is fairly simple to make, using staple ingredients such as dry pasta, tomato sauce, and onions. Cooks can learn how to make the Olive Garden Caserecce Pasta and Red Sauce recipe on their own by duplicating the restaurant’s recipe. Other Olive Garden entrees that feature homemade sauce include Cheese Ravioli with Mushroom Ragu, Chicken with Lemon Sage Sauce, and Chicken Marsala.
|Image Source: Olive Garden|
|Customer service phone||(800)248-4935|
|Served as||Main dish|
|Main ingredients||Caserecce pasta, onions, tomato sauce|
|Similar to||Pasta in red sauce|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Olive Garden Caserecce Pasta and Red Sauce Ingredients
- 1 lb. caserecce pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 – 29 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 12 ounce can tomato paste
- 3 ¾ cups water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. oregano, dried
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper, ground
- Fresh Italian parsley, for garnish
Recipe courtesy of Olive Garden
Olive Garden Caserecce Pasta and Red Sauce Recipe
- In a saucepot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and the bay leaf to the pot.
- Saute for a few minutes, until the onions turn golden brown. Be careful not to burn them.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, sugar, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
- Drain the cooked pasta and add it to the saucepot. Toss the pasta to coat it evenly with the sauce.
- To serve, transfer the entire pot contents to a large platter. Garnish the platter with fresh Italian parsley and serve right away.
Authentic Italian Red Sauce Recipe
Caserecce (or “casarecce”) pasta is shaped like small, narrow tubes. According to the National Pasta Association, caserecce works well with meat sauces and casserole dishes. The Olive Garden’s chef estimates the total cooking time for this dish at 1 hour, 45 minutes, including the 15 minutes of preparation time. This recipe serves four people as a main dish.
- To add a creamier flavor, add 1 cup of heavy cream to the sauce before simmering.
- While this recipe calls for caserecce pasta, you can substitute any pasta, including angel hair, spaghetti, or fettuccine.
- Increase the flavor by adding chopped vegetables such as carrots and celery to the sauce before simmering.
- If you won't be using the sauce right away, you can refrigerate it for up to a week or freeze it for up to six months.