From Copycat Recipe Guide
Olive Garden Italian Sausage Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Herb Parmesan Cream Sauce
The Italian restaurant chain Olive Garden serves signature dishes, including side items that complement their famous entrees such as Chicken Marsala and Risotto. Home cooks who enjoy the cuisine at the Italian restaurant can recreate it by learning how to make this Olive Garden Italian Sausage Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Herb Parmesan Cream Sauce recipe.
|Image Source: Olive Garden|
|Customer service phone||(800)248-4935|
|Served as||Appetizer, side dish|
|Main ingredients||Portobello mushrooms, Italian sausage, heavy cream|
|Similar to||Stuffed mushrooms|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Olive Garden Italian Sausage Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Herb Parmesan Cream Sauce Ingredients
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 tsp. fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup garlic croutons, finely ground
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped, or 2 tsp. dry basil
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh Italian parsley sprigs, for garnish
Recipe courtesy of Olive Garden
Olive Garden Italian Sausage Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Herb Parmesan Cream Sauce Recipe
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.
- To clean the mushrooms, dampen a cloth and wipe the top of the mushrooms to remove dirt.
- Lay the mushrooms on a baking sheet with the stem sides down. Place them in the oven and bake for 10 minutes or so.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven and set aside until ready to stuff.
- In a nonstick skillet, brown the Italian sausage, crumbling it into small pieces as it cooks.
- Drain the fat from the skillet and transfer the sausage to a paper towel to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and milk together. Add the parsley, basil, garlic, croutons, and Parmesan cheese to the mixture.
- Add the cooled sausage and combine thoroughly until the mixture is wet yet firm.
- Turn the mushroom caps over so that the caps are facing down. Stuff the caps with the sausage mixture and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, heat the heavy cream and boil it lightly until it reduces by half. Watch it carefully to avoid scorching.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, basil, salt and pepper and mix well. Remove from heat.
- Use a spoon to pour two ounces of sauce over the top of each mushroom cap. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms Recipe
- As described, this recipe serves four appetizer portions. Cooks should be able to prepare this dish in 15 minutes and cook it in 40 minutes. Other Olive Garden appetizer recipes include Crosti Con Funghi and Portobello Mushrooms with Mozzarella.
- To add a bit of Eastern European flair, you can make this dish in a classic Croatian style by replacing the Italian sausage with a pound of ground lamb.
- If you're a seafood lover, omit the Italian sausage and use a pound of picked crabmeat for the stuffing instead.
- If you prefer to avoid meat altogether, try skipping the sausage and using 1 pound of chopped pecans. Roast them in a skillet for a few minutes to toast them, then add 1 cup of them into the stuffing. Reserve the other cup to add to the finished cream sauce.