From Copycat Recipe Guide
P.F. Chang's Lettuce Wraps
The P.F. Chang's lettuce wraps recipe can be enjoyed as an appetizer, side dish or main dish. The dish is comprised of a stir-fried chicken and veggies mixture that is seasoned with oriental flavors. The mixture is wrapped into crisp iceberg lettuce leaves like a burrito at the table.
The lettuce wraps offer a blend of flavors and textures that is unmatched by other restaurants. While a visit to P.F. Chang's can easily put a dent in the wallet, P.F. Chang's lettuce wraps can be recreated in a home kitchen for a fraction of the price. The recipe does require some Asian sauces and spices, but the recipe is a perfect selection when chefs need to use up leftover chicken. Chicken trimmings or leftover chicken parts are optimal for this dish, as the pieces need to be small.
Start to finish: 30 minutes (Active time: 30 minutes)
|Flickr: Robert Banh|
|Customer service phone||866-732-4264|
|Served as||Appetizer; Main dish|
|Main ingredients||Chicken, lettuce, mushrooms, water chestnuts|
|Similar to||Rachel Ray's Thai Glazed Chicken Lettuce Wraps|
P.F. Chang's Lettuce Wraps Ingredients
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup shiitake mushroom pieces
- 12 medium Bibb lettuce leaves
- 4 ounces ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon Thai chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup water chestnuts, diced
- 1/4 cup mung bean noodles
- Green onions, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped peanuts, for garnish (optional)
Recipe by CopycatRecipeGuide Food Editors
P.F. Chang's Lettuce Wraps Recipe
- Remove your lettuce leaves as whole leaves carefully. Chop off the end, then rinse and allow them to dry.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan to medium-high heat, then add chicken and allow it to brown slightly (about 2 minutes).
- Add onion, chili sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, garlic and vinegar. Stir frequently to coat and cook chicken until meat is brown and crumbled in texture.
- Add green onions, mushrooms and water chestnuts to the mix and cook until the onions wilt.
- Top mixture with sesame oil and stir to incorporate.
- Place mung beans noodles on a plate, then spoon the chicken mixture on top. Top with chopped peanuts, if desired.
- Put the dried lettuce leaves on a plate, then serve.
- Instruct diners to take some of the chicken stir-fry mixture and place it in the middle of a lettuce leaf. The lettuce should be rolled like a burrito.
PF Changs Asian Lettuce Wraps Recipe
Lettuce wraps are a forgiving and easily customized dish. Spices, vegetables and the sauce can be altered the spices based on flavor preferences. This dish can be prepared with almost any ground meat. A vegetarian option can be crafted from firm, marinated tofu. At the restaurant, a series of three sauces are offered to spice up the dish. The sauces generally use a mixture of soy sauce, spices and hot Chinese mustard.
If you're unable to find some of the authentic Asian spices, you can substitute them for other pantry staples. For example, red wine vinegar can take the place of rice wine vinegar. You could also use 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper in place of the Thai chili sauce.
Healthy P.F. Chang's Lettuce Wraps Recipe
To make a healthier version of this dish, replace the ground chicken with oven-roasted chicken breast served without the skin. You can dice the meat finely and include it in the lettuce wraps as above. Choose a low-sodium soy sauce to cut the total sodium content. To make the wraps bulkier, increase the shiitake mushrooms and onions. You can also divide the mixture into smaller portions by spooning it into more lettuce leaves.
Also See: How to Make Wendy's Chili, How to Make Applebee's Spinach Pizza, How to Make Joe's Crab Shack Stuffed Mushrooms, How to Make a Chili's Awesome Blossom, How to Make T.G.I Friday's French Onion Soup