From Copycat Recipe Guide
Panera Black Bean Soup
Panera Bread's Black Bean Soup, which is found on the chain restaurant's menu four days a week, offers a warm, comforting, low-fat dish that can be served as a primary entree, side dish or as a soup course. If you don't live close to a Panera Bread restaurant location or if you're on a limited budget, preparing the dish at home is a great alternative. The Panera Black Bean Soup recipe is a vegetarian meal option that is packed with flavor. The recipe can be made ahead and frozen for an easy meal option for busy days.
Start to finish: 1 hour (Active time: 40 minutes)
Flickr: Bev Sykes
|Customer service phone||866-270-1064|
|Main ingredients||Black beans, onions, bell peppers, cilantro|
|Similar to||Atlanta Bread Company's Black Bean Soup|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Panera Black Bean Soup Ingredients
- 3 cups canned black beans
- 1 tablespoon vegetable base
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups celery
- 2 cups red peppers
- 2 cups onion
- 1/8 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Olive oil
Panera Black Bean Soup Recipe
- Slice onions, red peppers and celery.
- Place sufficient olive oil in the bottom of a Dutch oven to lightly cover the surface evenly.
- Saute onions and celery for a few minutes.
- Add water, beans, spices and broth to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Lower temperature to a simmer and cover pot.
- Cook until beans are tender.
- Add tomato paste, red peppers, garlic, cilantro and salt to the soup.
- Simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Add lemon juice to the mixture.
- Serve soup hot with a side of crusty bread.
How to Make Panera Black Bean Soup
- Consider using fresh spices for best results. To spice up the dish, increase the amount of black pepper or add a dash of Cayenne pepper.
- If you prefer not to use canned black beans, be sure to soak the dried beans in a pot of water overnight and cook them in a pot of fresh water for one to two hours before attempting to use them in this recipe.
- The Panera Black Bean Soup freezes easily and reheats quickly in a pan. Avoid reheating in microwave to prevent the beans from exploding.
- Consider topping the soup with sour cream, chives or other garnishment.
Also See: How to Make Panera Creamy Tomato Soup, How to Make Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup, How to Make Panera Chicken Noodle Soup, How to Make Panera Chicken Tortilla Soup, How to Make Panera Cream of Chicken and Wild Rice Soup