From Copycat Recipe Guide
Panera French Onion Soup
The Panera French Onion soup found on the chain restaurant's menu is a classic dish that is served in many restaurants, but is almost perfected in the bread-chain's version. The soup is generally served daily, but it is so easy to prepare that it should become a staple in every home chef's personal cookbook. The Panera French Onion soup recipe can be prepared in larger batches and frozen for future use. The versatile recipe is easily modified to suit flavor and spice preferences. The dish is suitable for children, families or even single diners who want a flavorful soup dish as an appetizer or main-course meal. Consider serving with a thick slice of freshly-prepared bread.
|Customer service phone||866-270-1064|
|Main ingredients||Onions, butter, garlic|
|Similar to||Applebee's Broccoli Cheddar Soup|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Panera French Onion Soup Ingredients
- 3 cups yellow onions
- 2 cans beef broth
- 1 can chicken broth
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- Fresh Focaccia bread
- Shaved Asiago Cheese
Panera French Onion Soup Recipe
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Slice bread into thick slices and butter each side.
- Cut buttered bread into equally-sized squares.
- Place into heated oven and bake until crispy. This will take about 15 minutes.
- Slice onions.
- Place butter into a saucepan and heat over medium to melt.
- Saute onions in butter until translucent.
- Lightly salt onions.
- Add onions to a large Dutch oven along with any butter remaining in the saute pan.
- Add chicken and beef broth, tomato paste, sugar, flour and seasonings to the pot.
- Bring all ingredients to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Ladle soup into oven-safe serving bowls and top with croutons.
- Liberally top soup with shaved Swiss cheese.
- Place bowls back into oven for about 5 minutes to melt cheese.
How to Make Panera French Onion Soup
Panera's French onion soup recipe is a great option for a nightly meal as it is quick to prepare and can match almost any budget. If you don't have Asiago cheese, Swiss cheese makes a great alternative. To spice up the dish, consider adding some Tabasco sauce, or other tomato-based hot sauce.
Also See: How to Make Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup, How to Make a Panera Smokehouse Turkey Panini, How to Make a Panera Frontega Chicken Panini, How to Make a Panera Salmon Club Croissant, How to Make a Panera Roasted Turkey Artichoke Panini, How to Make a Panera Chipotle Chicken Panini