From Copycat Recipe Guide
Panera New England Clam Chowder
The Panera New England clam chowder found on the restaurant's menu is a classic dish that is a delight to the taste buds. The soup is a good selection for a nightly meal, especially when the temperatures drop. It is also suitable for lunch or as an appetizer. In the restaurant, the soup is only served on Fridays. If you want to enjoy the soup on another day or if you want a signature dish to present to your friends or family, learning to prepare the dish at home is a great alternative to eating at the restaurant everyday. This Panera New England clam chowder recipe is easy to prepare and can be made ahead in large batches.
Start to finish: 1 hour (Active time: 45 minutes)
|Flickr: Tony Alter|
|Customer service phone||866-270-1064|
|Main ingredients||Clams, cream, potatoes|
|Similar to||Red Lobster's Clam Chowder|
Panera New England Clam Chowder Ingredients
- 2 cups potatoes
- 1/4 cup clam broth
- 1/2 cup clam juice
- 1 tablespoon clam base
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cream 
- 2 cups onion
- 2 cups sea clams
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Panera New England Clam Chowder Recipe
- Slice potatoes and onions.
- Place sufficient olive oil in the bottom of a Dutch oven to lightly cover the surface.
- Saute onions until they become translucent.
- Add water, clam broth, clam juice, clam base, potatoes, onions, sugar and salt to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, then lower temperature to simmer the soup.
- Cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Mash potatoes slightly to thicken broth.
- Add sea clams, garlic powder and cream to the pot.
- Stir until all ingredients are well blended.
- Cook for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add butter to the soup, then turn off the heat.
- Stir to blend butter into the soup.
- Serve soup hot along with fresh bread.
How to Make New England Clam Chowder
- Panera's New England Clam Chowder is creamy, but isn't spicy. Hot sauce or Cayenne pepper can be added to spice up the chowder.
- For a healthier option, use a low-fat cream, but make sure to reduce the amount of water to maintain the proper consistency.
- Consider sprinkling the soup with diced cooked bacon for an extra touch.
- This soup freezes easily and reheats quickly. Serve with a large chunk of fresh, crusty bread for an authentic restaurant experience.
Also See: How to Make Panera Baked Potato Soup, How to Make Panera Black Bean Soup, How to Make Panera Chicken Noodle Soup, How to Make Panera Cream of Chicken and Wild Rice Soup, How to Make Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup, How to Make Panera Chicken Tortilla Soup