From Copycat Recipe Guide
Pizza Hut WingStreet Apple Pies
While frying apple pies at home takes a little more care and vigilance than simply baking, this Pizza Hut WingStreet Apple Pies recipe is straightforward and relatively uncomplicated. It’s definitely worth the extra effort to create a crust with such a satisfying crunch.
If you are a fan of Pizza Hut, but find yourself craving buffalo wings, check out WingStreet, the sister restaurant to the Pizza Hut franchise. Not only does WingStreet specialize in buffalo chicken wings, chicken tenders, fried cheese sticks, and other side dishes, but they make a delicious fried apple pie!
Start to finish: 1 hour 25 minutes (active time: 45 minutes)
Serves: 8 (serving size is 2 apple pies)
|Customer service phone||800-948-8488|
|Main ingredients||Apples, flour, frying oil|
|Similar to||Fried fruit pie|
Pizza Hut WingStreet Apple Pies Ingredients
Pizza Hut WingStreet Apple Pie Crust Ingredients
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, chilled
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Confectioner's sugar, for sprinkling
Pizza Hut WingStreet Apple Pie Filling Ingredients
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Recipe by CopycatRecipeGuide's Food Editors
Pizza Hut WingStreet Apple Pies Recipe
- On a floured work surface, roll out the dough so it is 1/8 inch thick. (recipe for pie crust dough follows)
- Using a paring knife, cut the dough into 4-inch squares.
- Place 1 tablespoon of apple pie filling in the center of each square. (recipe for apple pie filling follows)
- Moisten the edges of the dough with cold water and fold the pie in half.
- Seal the edges of the pie by pressing it with a fork.
- Repeat this process with the remaining pastry and apples.
- In a deep-fryer or large saucepan, heat frying oil to 350 degrees F.
- Fry the pies, two at a time, for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove the pies from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
- Serve the apple pies warm, with each person receiving two pies.
Pizza Hut WingStreet Apple Pie Crust Recipe
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- Add the shortening and mix with a hand blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add cold water 1 tablespoon at a time and mix with a fork until the dough is moistened enough to form a ball.
- Place the ball of dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
Pizza Hut WingStreet Apple Pie Filling Recipe
- In a saucepan on low heat, combine the apples, sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice.
- Cook the apples, stirring occasionally, until the apples are soft.
- Remove the apples from heat and allow them to cool.
Fried Fruit Pie Tutorial
- If you plan on serving these apple pies to guests and do not want to cook with hot oil on the day of your event, the pies can be made a day in advance and reheated in the oven. Simply store the pies in a single layer on a baking sheet in your refrigerator. Reheat the pies right before you plan to serve them.
- To save time, you could also make these pies using buttermilk biscuit dough for the crust, instead of preparing the crust by hand.
- The apples in this recipe can be replaced with different fruits. Try combining fresh strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries for a tasty berry pie. You can also use canned apples or other canned fruit pie filling, such as cherries, to decrease prep time for this recipe.
Also See: How to Make Pizza Hut Marinara Dipping Sauce, How to Make Pizza Hut Garlic Dipping Sauce, How to Make Pizza Hut Lemon Pepper Wings, How to Make Pizza Hut Pizza Sauce, How to Make Pizza Hut Garlic Parmesan Wings, How to Make Pizza Hut Cheese Sticks