From Copycat Recipe Guide
One of the things that makes Subway's sandwiches so tasty is the bread that they use. Their basic sub roll, also called Subway Italian Bread, is a light and chewy white bread with a soft crust. There are over 39,000 Subway restaurant locations throughout the world, and they all offer the same delicious Italian bread that you can make with this copycat Subway Bread recipe.
|Flickr: Craig Dugas|
|Customer service phone||800-888-4848|
|Served as||Sandwich, bread|
|Main ingredients||Flour, yeast|
|Similar to||Italian bread|
Subway Bread Ingredients
- 2 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/3 cup soybean oil
- 6-7 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
Subway Bread Recipe
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup warm water. Let stand for about nine to ten minutes.
- Combine yeast mixture with oil, salt, and two cups of flour. Stir well.
- Gradually stir in 4 cups of flour and remaining water.
- Knead for 10 minutes, adding additional flour as needed.
- Place dough in a lightly-greased bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for about one hour.
- Punch dough down and divide into eight pieces.
- Roll each half into loaf-shapes, about twelve inches long.
- Place loaves onto two large baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Cover the eight loaves and allow to rise for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook for 25 minutes, or until the top of the loaves are golden brown.
- Let the bread cool until room temperature.
How to Make Subway Bread
- Adapt this recipe to prepare Subway's Honey & Oats bread by adding 1/2 cup of old fashioned oats to the bread dough before rising.
- If you prefer a hands-off approach, you can mix all of the ingredients in a bread machine and cook on a light setting according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Add a bit more flavor by sprinkling a mixture of shredded cheddar cheese, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning over the dough before baking.
- Recreate Subway's Parmesan Oregano bread by mixing together Parmesan cheese, oregano, and garlic salt and sprinkling it over the unbaked dough.
- You can also make two loaves of bread from this recipe instead of eight individual sub rolls.
- According to Subway's website, one serving of the restaurant's Hearty Italian Bread, which is the basic white bread with cornmeal added, contains 210 calories.
Also See: How to Make KFC Spoon Bread, How to Make Subway Tuna Salad, How to Make Carrabba's Mamma's Bread, How to Make Macaroni Grill Rosemary Bread, How to Make Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits, How to Make Cracker Barrel Biscuits, How to Make Olive Garden Breadsticks, How to Make Subway Flatbread, How to Make the Original KFC Biscuits