From Copycat Recipe Guide
T.G.I. Friday's Potato Skins
This versatile T.G.I. Friday's Potato Skins recipe can be used as an appetizer, side dish or entree. Learning how to make T.G.I. Friday's potato skins allows you to enjoy the appetizer whenever you choose, without the restaurant cost. Preparing this T.G.I. Friday's Potato Skins recipe consists of scraping out the centers of baked potatoes, frying the skins in oil until they are crisp, and then topping them with cheese and bacon.
While the restaurant version is topped with cheese, sour cream and bacon crumbles, the base potato skins can be topped with chili, beans and cheese, broccoli and cheese or any other combination you desire.
|Creative Commons image by Ernesto Andrade|
|Customer service phone||800-FRIDAYS|
|Main ingredients||Potatoes and cheese|
|Cooking method||Baking and frying|
|Similar to||Loaded baked potatoes|
How to Make T.G.I. Friday's Potato Skins at Home
T.G.I. Friday's Potato Skins Ingredients
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- Oil for frying
- 5 slices bacon
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
T.G.I. Friday's Potato Skins Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Scrub potatoes and remove any eyes.
- Poke potatoes evenly using a fork. Bake for about 60 minutes or until tender. Allow the potatoes to cool enough so they can be handled.
- Slice potatoes lengthwise into thirds. Discard the middle third or save for another use such as twice baked potatoes. Scoop the pulp from the remaining potato halves and leave about 1/4 inch of potato remaining in each skin.
- Cool skins completely.
- Put enough oil in a deep fryer or skillet to completely cover the skins. Heat the oil to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lower potato skins into the oil until they are completely submerged and fry for 2 to 3 minutes, until they are golden brown and crisp. Do not overcook.
- Drain the skins on paper towels to soak up any excess oil.
- Slice the bacon into small pieces. Cook until crispy in a skillet then transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain.
- Combine the sour cream and chives in a small bowl and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Sprinkle each potato skin with shredded cheddar cheese. Top with crispy bacon pieces.
- Return to broiler for one-to-two minutes to melt the cheese. Transfer to a serving plate and serve with the sour cream-chive mixture.
- Serve immediately to avoid the cheese cooling.
If you'd prefer not to fry the skins, brush the scooped out skins with 1/4 cup of melted butter and broil for 5 to 7 minutes until brown around then edges, then top with bacon and cheese and proceed as in the instructions for fried potato skins.
While T.G.I. Friday's potato skins are topped with cheddar cheese and bacon, the toppings that can be used on potato skins are nearly limitless. Other chefs use the thin and crispy potato boats as vessels to hold a number of other toppings giving the potato skins the tastes of BBQ and Mexican food. 
Also See: How to Make a Bloomin' Onion, How to Make Texas Roadhouse Fried Pickles, How to Make Texas Roadhouse Rattlesnake Bites, How to Make Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole, How to Make T.G.I Friday's French Onion Soup, How to Make T.G.I. Friday's Cosmopolitan