From Copycat Recipe Guide
Vegan Applebees Spinach Pizza
Applebee's vegan spinach pizzas can be served up as appetizers or light entrees. While the restaurant does not divulge their exact recipe, you can make your own Vegan Applebees spinach pizza recipe in the comfort of your home. The dish is relatively simple to make, as you use pita bread rather than pizza dough for the crust. You'll need to cook the vegetable toppings before you place the pizzas in the oven. The pizza is best served hot out of the oven, but can be reheated if necessary. This recipe makes six half pitas, or about three servings. If you want to make more servings, you can easily adjust the amount of ingredients you use.
Flickr: Mike Mozart
|Customer service phone||888-59APPLE|
|Served as||Appetizer or entree|
|Main ingredients||Pita bread, spinach|
|Cooking method||Simmer, saute, bake|
|Similar to||Vegetable pita pizza|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Applebee's Spinach Pizza Ingredients
- 1 10-ounce package chopped frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 8-ounce package button or crimini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup yeast
- 3/4 cup rice milk
- 1 white onion, medium sized
- 6 plum tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 pita bread rounds
Applebee's Spinach Pizza Recipe
- Drain all water out of the spinach, squeezing out any excess. The spinach must be very dry to avoid a soggy pizza.
- Heat rice milk in a medium saucepan until it almost comes to a boil.
- Add flour and stir until the mixture becomes thick.
- Turn heat to low, then add yeast and spinach.
- Simmer for for several minutes. Continue stirring until a thick, rich consistency is achieved.
- Salt and pepper to taste, and remove from heat.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet.
- Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, mushrooms and spices.
- Saute until the mushroom slices and tomatoes are tender. Strain any excess water.
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut each pita round in half.
- Place each pita slice onto a baking sheet.
- Spread some of the spinach mixture evenly onto each slice, then top with mushroom and spinach mixture.
- Bake for 5 minutes, or until crusts are crispy but not burned.
Spinach Alfredo Pizza Recipe
- This is a vegan recipe, so there are no dairy or other animal products used. However, those who prefer a richer pizza that is vegetarian but not vegan can use cream instead of rice milk and/or top the pizza with grated mozzarella or provolone cheese, followed by a sprinkling of Parmesan.
- The recipe is delicious for a family meal, but tasty enough for a discerning dinner party. If needed, you can prep the ingredients ahead of time, then assemble and bake right before serving for best results.
- Consider substituting a whole wheat pita for an added health punch.
- If you want to keep the recipe free of animal products but you miss the taste of cheese, you can use vegan mozzarella or cheddar cheese. These cheeses are typically made from either soy products or tapioca flour. Be sure to select a brand that melts and stretches so that the cheese spreads evenly over the pizza surface.
- You can also sprinkle a few tablespoons of nutritional yeast over the top of the pizza to add a cheesy taste.
Also See: How to Make Applebee's Perfect Margarita, How to Make Applebee's Spinach Pizza, How to Make Red Lobster Lobster Pizza, How to Make Pizza Hut Pizza, How to Make a Pizzeria Uno Chicago Style Pizza, How to Make Carrabba's Pizza Dough, How to Make TGI Friday's French Onion Soup, How to Make Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls, How to Make Texas Roadhouse Rattlesnake Bites