From Copycat Recipe Guide
KFC Double Down Sandwich
The KFC Double Down sandwich was introduced in April of 2010. Advertised as the first bread-less sandwich, the KFC Double Down sandwich recipe consisted of two breaded and fried KFC Original Recipe chicken breasts with a filling made of Monterey Jack cheese and fried bacon. The sandwich is topped by a spicy Colonel’s sauce, which was made from a secret recipe.
|Flickr: Mike Saechang|
|Customer service phone||(800)225-5532|
|Served as||Main dish|
|Main ingredients||Boneless chicken breasts, bacon, Monterey Jack cheese|
|Cooking method||Pan frying|
|Similar to||Chicken Breast sandwich|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
KFC Double Down Sandwich Ingredients
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 slices bacon
- 3 cups peanut oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
KFC Double Down Sandwich Recipe
- Begin by pan frying the chicken breasts. Pour two cups of peanut oil into a deep skillet and heat until sizzling.
- Pour flour into one medium mixing bowl, beaten eggs into another, and the buttermilk into a third bowl. Dip each chicken breast in buttermilk and then eggs. Roll each breast in flour to coat it completely.
- Place both chicken breasts into the hot oil and fry until golden brown. Use tongs to remove the chicken and drain it on paper towels.
- While the chicken is resting, make the sandwich sauce. In a small bowl, soften the butter in the microwave and then combine it with the Dijon mustard. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Reheat the original frying pan and place the bacon strips in it. Cook until crispy on both sides and then drain on paper towels.
- Once the chicken has cooled, lay a slice of Monterey Jack cheese on one breast, then top it with the bacon. Pour half of the Dijon sauce over the bacon, top with another slice of cheese, then add the other fried chicken breast.
- Place the entire sandwich in the microwave for 30 seconds to melt the cheese. Serve immediately.
How to Pan Fry Breaded Chicken
According to KFC, the Double Down sandwich contains 610 calories. If you’d like to cut the calorie count, you could grill or bake the chicken breasts instead of frying them in oil. You might also like to replace the bacon with low-sodium turkey bacon.