From Copycat Recipe Guide
Starbucks Birthday Cake Pop
To celebrate its 40th anniversary in 2011, Starbucks launched a line of sweet treats called “Starbucks Petites.” Among these treats is the Birthday Cake Pop, a celebratory confection to help mark the company's special occasion. This mini cake-on-a-stick has a vanilla base and is covered in pink chocolate with white sprinkles.
If you have a Starbucks coupon and want to try the birthday cake pop, then a trip to your local café might be in order. However, if you’re planning a party, ordering large quantities might get a bit pricey. But don’t worry, you can make your own by using this Starbucks Birthday Cake Pop recipe and celebrate any occasion with these festive cake pops.
Start to finish: 1 hour
Serves: Makes about 50 cake pops
|Creative Commons image by marcopako|
|Customer service phone||800-782-7282|
|Main ingredients||Flour, vanilla, white chocolate|
|Similar to||Birthday cake|
Do you love to cook? Sign up for our newsletter here and get subscriber-only recipes, kitchen hacks, and special offers
Starbucks Birthday Cake Pop Ingredients
Vanilla Cake Ingredients
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablepoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole or skim milk
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole or skim milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 3/4 cups confectioners sugar
White Chocolate Icing Ingredients
- 2 cups white chocolate
- Red food coloring, several drops to reach desired color
- White sprinkles, for garnish
Starbucks Birthday Cake Pop Recipe
Vanilla Cake Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 9x13 baking pan.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add the eggs, one at a time; mixing after each egg to incorporate.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually add half the flour mixture to the wet ingredients; mix until smooth.
- Add approximately ½ of the milk to the batter and mix. Alternately add the remaining flour and milk to the batter; stirring after each addition.
- Mix the batter until it is smooth and contains no lumps.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.
Vanilla Buttercream Icing Recipe
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to cream the butter, milk, and vanilla.
- Add confectioners sugar 1 cup at a time, beating until smooth after each addition.
How to Make Starbucks Cake Pops
- Using a food processor, blend the vanilla cake until it becomes fine crumbs.
- In a large bowl, combine the vanilla cake crumbs with the vanilla buttercream frosting. Add 1 cup of frosting and stir until well-combined. Add more frosting, a tablespoon at a time, until the cake is moist enough to maintain its shape when rolled into a ball.
- Taking 2 tablespoons of the cake mixture in the palm of your hand, shape the pop into a 1 ½ inch ball.
- Place the cake balls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and chill in the refrigerator or freezer for 5 – 10 minutes.
- While the cake pops are chilling, prepare the icing. Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler on the stove or in the microwave. Stir the mixture continuously until the chocolate has melted. If the chocolate begins to seize (harden) add a teaspoon of boiled water to soften it and continue stirring.
- Once the white chocolate has melted, add a few drops of red food coloring to the icing until the desired color is achieved.
- Take the chilled cake pops out of the refrigerator/freezer and place a lollipop stick in each pop. To decorate the pops, dip them individually into the icing and garnish with white sprinkles. Use an upside-down colander to hold the lollipop sticks separately so that the icing hardens without loosing its shape.
The Joy of Baking Vanilla Cake
- While this recipe calls for homemade cake and buttercream frosting, you could simplify it by using a store-bought cake mix and frosting. For an even more festive cake pop, try using “Birthday Cake” or “Confetti Cake” mixes, which are a vanilla cake base with colorful sprinkles throughout. You might try using strawberry frosting instead of vanilla for an even more “pink” cake pop. (These would be great for a princess party!)
- If you are planning a party, allow your guests to decorate their own cake pop! Make the cake pops ahead of time and set out bowls of white chocolate and milk chocolate icing. Add a variety of colored sprinkles and add-ons for an even more creative cake pop buffet.
- These cake pops can be frozen for future decorating. Simply insert a lollipop stick into the chilled pops and place them in an airtight container in your freezer. Allow the cake pops to thaw to room temperature before decorating.
Also See: How to Make a Starbucks Caramel Macchiato, How to Make a Starbucks Frappuccino, How to Make Starbucks Chai Tea How to Make a Starbucks Red Velvet Whoopie Pie, How to Make Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bars